To add Akismet Anti-Spam protection to your blog.
1. Go to https://akismet.com/signup/
2. You will be required to create a (free) WordPress.com account – follow the onscreen instructions. If you already have a WordPress.com account you can use it to activate Akismet.
3. After registering with WordPress.com, choose the Personal option in Akismet by clicking the blue Sign Up button.
DO NOT select any of the other options.
4. You will now be presented with a Payment Method screen. DO NOT enter any payment details into this page.
On the right side of the screen you will see a slider bar that you can use to select how much you are going to pay for Akismet. Slide the bar all the way to the left so that it reads $0.00 (zero). The payment methods on the left should now have disappeared.
5. Enter your first and last name and click Continue.
Your info will be processed and a new screen will appear containing your Akismet API key code. Copy this and save it in your records. Then follow the instructions as to how to add the Akismet API key to your blog site.